Monday, July 11, 2016

Japanese pickles in Kyoto -Tsukemono-

    

I went to Kyoto last Sunday to meet my old friends.
Most of time we chatted in cafe or restaurant because we met since 10 years, but we felt to do something seems like Kyoto. So we went to famous huge food market in Kyoto called Nishiki Ichiba.

http://www.kyoto-nishiki.or.jp/ (Japanese)

http://kyoto.travel/en/thingstodo/entertainment/252 (English information)

This is long street which has more than a hundred food shop. We can get anything here, and enjoy Kyoto food.  There packed with people including foreigners.
I enjoyed to buy Tsukemono, Japanese pickles, here this time.

Japanese pickles taste salty, sometimes miso taste, not vinegar, so a little bit different from other country style.
We can buy pickles in local supermarkets but Kyoto is very famous for Kyoto veggies pickles. So good to eat with  rice.


      ↑                  ↑                 ↑
eggplant   burdock  asuparagus


   

This is my favorite pickles, red beet. Tastes sour, salty and sweet a bit.

What I was surprised while shopping, I found Tsukemono which I can keep in room temperature. Usually Tsukemono should keep in fridge, so sometimes it is hard to bring them home. Easy to try for tourists!

I eat Tsukemono every day at supper time. I believe that rice, miso soup, and Tsukemono are exact basic Japanese cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment